February 10, 2010

learn. apply. share.

I like to learn. So I am going to start by learning more about social media. Learning, applying and sharing, and I hope you will join me along the way.

I’m no expert. Not in social media or anything else for that matter. I never will be and I never want to be.

As Alex Bogusky (@bogusky) so aptly put it in a recent article in MediaPost, “What makes someone a social media expert, anyway? And finally, why on earth would anyone want to be an expert? Expertise seems to require experience and the ability to use that expertise seems to require the future closely resemble the past…I’m no expert and I don’t know anything, but I highly doubt the media future is going to closely resemble media’s past.”

I want to keep a record of my successes, (outright) failures, embarrassing moments and adventures while exploring this (relatively) new media.

Learn, apply and share. Then the process starts over.

There have been others to document their foray into social media, but those that I was able to locate really focused on the statistics. I want to bring a more human voice to the learning experience and let folks know about the joys and frustrations of the journey.

I am going to start this “experiment” by reading and distilling some of these: “27 of the most comprehensively compiled social media guides” as posted here by WebDoctus (@michael_duvall).

My goal over the next few months or so is to read a few of these guides each week and distill the best nuggets of information. Tips you might find useful and discuss them here. I also share useful (and sometimes funny) links I find on twitter, so if you are signed up, you can follow me there (@steinbroeder). As I have learned, it is truly an amazing resource if you know how to use it. More on that later.

Oh, and leave it to Google to steal my thunder yesterday by launching Google Buzz on the same day I launch my blog...ha! It is rather timely though isn't it?

Feel free to leave a comment or suggestion. Let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am gaining a ton of info just from the links in your tweets! Can't wait to learn even more here.

Stein Broeder said...

Thanks for the feedback Kelley!

Related Posts with Thumbnails